Question
Posted by: Hope* | 2007/12/02

Gland

Hi Doc, silly question, I have a very painful swollen gland on my neck. This thing goes up and down all the time. Spoke to surgeon about this and he said if its still doing this in Jan it will have to come out. This problem has been going on for more than 6 months now. What happens when the gland is taken out? As far as I understand the gland absorbs/fights off infection.

Dear Hope*
You have many glands in the neck so taking out one won't have an impact on your immunity. It will also help to diagnose the cause of the swollen gland as they will send it to the lab for testing.