advertisement
Question
Posted by: Barbara | 2006/11/06

Glade's new air freshener

I recently used the above air freshener - it's new and apparently stays in the air for about an hour longer than any other. Well, to cut a long story short - it poisoned all three of my cats - my persian excessively (she had a white tongue, white gums and just hung in my arms like a ragdoll - lay in her basket for a solid 3 days. My other two hung around extremely listless for the same amount of time. Finally, after an exceptionally good airing of my home, they started to improve. The persian I fed water with an eye-dropper and she wouldn't eat. I was terrified. I have since heard that Glade is the absolute worst for poisoning cats. Has anyone else heard of this and could someone advise accordingly.

Thank you in anticipation.
Barbara

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberVet

Please inform customer service as Glades manufacturers as it is important that they be made aware of this

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

2
Our users say:
Posted by: Chill | 2006/11/06

While this could just possibly have something to it, I have to say that I think it really is very highly unlikely that any airfreshener created for domestic use is inherently toxic to pets - the one possible exception being birds., which are very intolerant of volatile substances. It's of course possible that ONE cat could be sensitive to something specific in there - allergic, in other words - it seems to me pretty unlikely that THREE cats should coincidentally be affected this way.

Are you sure there wasn't something else around? Could someone have poisoned them - perhaps accidentally?

You don't say anything about taking the cats to the vet - if the one was as bad as you say, I do hope you did so, because it sounds like it could have been at death's door. If you took the cats for attention but merely didn't mention that - what did the vet have to say about the Glade theory?

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Kate | 2006/11/06

Barbara, I never use any kind of air freshener as it triggers an ashthma like attack in me so my pets are pretty safe.
But I urge people to read the fine print carefully - its quite scary.
I do not even buy my boyfriend spray deodorant as it makes my cats sneeze. LOL.

Reply to Kate

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
advertisement