Question
Posted by: cp | 2007/06/07

giving up milk

i want to give up milk products completely.
I think the only reason we need dairy in our diets is for calcium, so if i take a calcium supplement daily, is it ok to completely cut out dairy?? (i think i have a intollerance for milk)

also, if i do have an intollerance would that apply to things like goats and soy milk?
thx

Dear CP
I would always advise someone who suspects that they are allergic or intolerant to milk and dairy products, or any other food to have proper tests done to diagnose if you are really allergic to the specific food and also to which component. For example some people may be intolerant to milk sugar or lactose and be able to eat yoghurt and most cheeses, while others are allergic to certain proteins in milk and dairy and have to avoid all dairy products. It is essential to obtain your calcium (1000 mg a day) from another source such as soy milk or calcium supplements (e.g. Calcium Sandoz or Caltrate) if you cut out all milk and dairy. I can't predict if you would also be allergic to soy milk and goat's milk as this would depend on which component in the milk you are sensitive to - thus the need for proper tests.