Question
Posted by: Worried boyfriend | 2007/04/12

Girlfriend getting fat !!!!

How do I tell me girlfriend that I don't like the extra weight that has put on! I don't speak about 1 or 2 kg more about 10 kg and she is becomming really chubby!

I gym 5 days a week, jog over weekends and I must say that I am not a Mens Health cover boy but I think I am in shape! So dont tell me to first have a look at myself because I am doing my bit to keep my body in shape!

Dear Worried Boyfriend
This is indeed a difficult situation and how you handle it will depend on your girlfriend's psychological makeup. If she is eating because she is insecure and seeking 'comfort' in food, or suffering from depression (depression can cause pronounced weight gain), then anything you say about her getting chubby will have a devastating effect on her. If she is eating because she feels happy and relaxed in your relationship and confident, then you can certainly mention that you think the time has come for her a) to join you at the gym and b) to reduce her food intake. You need to be super tactful and assess the situation carefully because the wrong approach could just spark even more eating and weight gain. Another option would be to ask one of her girlfriends to tactfully point out that she is gaining weight, then the burden of the message does not rest with you and will probably not damage your relationship.

4
Posted by: ... | 2007/04/12

hey, g c'mon man

Reply to ...
Posted by: g | 2007/04/12

She 's got the tom cat syndrome.. Nuter a cat and they get fat.Try flirting with all the shapely loverlys around and she will soon shape up. if she is like this now imagin in 10 years. My man you will be whale watching !!!!!!!.

Reply to g
Posted by: B | 2007/04/12

Kimmi, that was the best reply and advice I have seen in years. If I so much as eat one biscuit my boyfriend says "Hey! that's a 2 kilometre run you're eating there!" and it doesn't encourage me to not eat it, it pisses me off enough to eat five! So well done on the advice you gave 'worried boyfriend', I'm 100% with you there!

Reply to B
Posted by: Kimmi | 2007/04/12

Why dont you encourage her to maybe work out with you, depending the exercises that you do. Maybe get to to try something new that she'd enjoying doing like tae-bo or hip-hop dancing with friends? If you do ant to sit down and chat about it, make sure you dont tell her you're worried about her WEIGHT, but rather about her HEALTH. maybe explain the benefits of being healthy. trust me, whatever you do, do NOT make it about FATNESS! She'll just resent you for it. Be subtle, encouraging about it and supportive when she does starting working out. If you live together, and have the time, make meals (especailly dinner) a joint effort. Make healthy meals and have fun going it together. Make eating a healthy pleasure, rather then a horrid restriction.
Hope this helps and good luck!
And just remember, it takes longer to see the results of a good diet and exercise on women than men, so be patient and supportive!

Reply to Kimmi