Question
Posted by: jack | 2004/10/18

girlfriend

I would like some advice on my girlfriend. she has suffered from depression a while back. She has been off anti- depressants for a long time now though.

I do not know if something bad happened in her past. She does not like it when I bring up the subject of her ex`s.
She is also hesitant to go into certain sexual positions. She usually wants me on top in missionary position.So is not very experimental.

She is a very shy person, she has not once got totally undressed in front of me, even though we have been together for a couple of years. Yes, the light also goes off when we are at it in bed.

She sometimes gets anxiety attacks, whatever i then try say or do to calm her, she would sometimes not react to. Especially if she has had a couple of drinks that evening. She would get all sopppy in these situations as well. It is very disturbing for me to experience this.

She also sometimes has terrible nightmares/bad dreams involving bad things happening to people close to her. Or even dreams about me being unfaithful, although i never had been in reality.

One thing that is really distressing for her is that she then intermitantly gets flashbacks of these dreams sometime afterwards the next day or in the future.

Anti-depressants helped some of these anxieties but we suffered as a couple, as she got overweight very tired and no libido. She would sleep half the day away.

What could you recommend her doing.

She has sought some help before.

Hi jack, ( maybe not a good choice of words --- Hello Jack !)
Sounds like the best thing would be for her to see a good shrink, probably best a psychologist, for in-depth counselling, focussing at first on these bad dreams and "flashbacks" and dealing with whatever unresulved problems she has, This could have benefits all round, in all the areas you describe as affected

1
Posted by: Depressed too | 2004/10/19

Don't you think it's a good idea to take her back to a psychiatrist or psychologist to work through these issues? Doesn't sound to me like she's doing too great/ Good luck man!

Reply to Depressed too