Question
Posted by: Sandy | 2008/05/20

Ginette: Effects of long term use

I have been diagnosed with a hormone imbalance (PCOS) & have been on Ginette for 5 years. The only time I stopped taking it was when I fell pregnant 2 years ago. I am now back on the pills again as my uterus become enlarged & my period was heavy & irregular again.

My problem is that I am concerned about the long term effect it may have. My hair is breaking off & lies the house full. Is there other treatment available?

I am 30 years old & do not smoke or drink. Please advise, thank you!

Have a look under COntraception on this site for the side effects of the Pill. The hair loss is more likely to be due to the PCOS than the Pill. Ovarian drilling may be an option for the treatment of PCOS. You could discuss this with your gynaecologist.