Question
Posted by: annie | 2007/03/15

GI + IBS - help

Hi there,

Ive been overweight most of my life - this has been a long battle. To top it off I developede Hypothyriodism after pregnancy - so you can imagine how I battle to get the weight off. But one thing I did realise was that the quick fixes dont work and that you need to exercise. Recently I found a great GI eating plan which is easy to follow. I also exercise as much as possible.
BUT there is one problem. I have IBS and I am intollerant to wheat and gluten. So I can't eat the seed loaf bread, pasta, all bran, and even potatoes, that the Gi way of eating suggestsI also.
I also gave up red meat 3 months ago - I just stopped liking it. Now I only eat fish and chicken.
My questions are:
- What other GI startches can I eat?
- Should I go an visit a dietician to work out a eating plan specific to my needs/problems
- I have been feeling really tired lately, could this be from cutting out red meat? I take a multi-vitamin every day.

Thank you for the help....

Dear Annie
Low-GI starches which do not contain wheat, include barley, sorghum, sweet corn, cooked cooled maize meal, brown rice and sweet potatoes. However, I would strongly urge you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that she/he can work out a low-GI-, wheat- and gluten-free diet for you. Tiredness could be due to a lack of iron which is mainly found in red meat and liver, and if you are worried about this do ask your dr to test your blood iron levels. If you are iron deficient then you will have to take iron and folic acid until your body iron stores are replenished.