Question
Posted by: Cassy | 2008/07/15

GI

I heard that eating white bread isn't good for you. I would like to know if it is okay to eat Sasko's Soy and Linseed Low GI white bread. I tried to eat their Low GI brown bread, but I found that it gives me heartburn. The white bread is much better.

I am also confused about GI. I saw that Oats and Weetbix has a high GI. Would it have a low GI if I use skim milk with the Weetbix? And if I cook the oats in skim milk?

What is the fibre content of Weetbix compared to say All Bran?

Dear Cassy
You can certainly eat the Sasko soy and linseed low-GI white bread as it has all the benefits of low-GI. You are correct that adding skim milk or yoghurt to Weetbix and cooking oats in milk or having skim milk with the oats will lower the GI. According to the SA Food Tables, Weetbix contain 12.1g of fibre per 100g, while All-Bran contains 19 g of fibre/100g.

1
Posted by: gogga | 2008/07/17

It also depends which brand of oats you buy - Bokomo is medium GI and Jungle and Tiger are high GI, for example.

Reply to gogga