Posted by: Kasandra | 2008/10/08

Getting there

Hi Dietdoc first thank you for all the interesting articles you post - esp on quick fixes etc. Now after years of binge and yo yo starvation I realised the only way to lose weight AND keep it off is through hard work and eating enough and right. Thankly I had the guts to join WW cause even thou I dont have lots to lose my eating habbits were repulsive. Still hard to dicipline the brain not to step back into that mind set of an easy fix. I have been gymming hard for 3 weeks 5 times a week for more then an hour some days resistance training combined with cardio other days only cardio. I do not go weigh myself every week cause that was downfall in my past - I can see in my body I am losing centimetres I have however lost 1kg in 2 weeks which dont sound like much. My height is 1.53 and currently weight 52kg body fat 26%. I would like to weigh 49kg with 24% body fat. I get a vitb12 injection every second week and take vitb6 complex pills with calcium together with 1000mg salmon oil.
My eating plan consist of Protein shake 100 ml fat free milk straight after gym followed by oats with linseed at 10:00 / lunch is rice crackers tomato gerkin, cottage cheese, tuna / chicken rashers + veggies /snack fruit and yogurt and dinner 50g muesli with linseed. i have tried to do the vegs and protein at night but it doesnt fill me.

Is there anything else you can add????

Dear Kasandra
Thank you for your kind words - they make my day. I am so glad that you have stopped binging and yo-yo dieting and are with Weight Watchers. Your BMI = 22,2 which is actually very close to ideal for your height. I would not actually recommend that you force your body down to 49 kg - this would give you a BMI of 20 (i.e. below the ideal of 22). The exercise will help you to firm up nicely as you can already see with the loss in cm. Cardio exercises will help for the body fat%. 24% is the correct value for normal women according to Prof Tim Noakes. The diet you describe is reasonable, I am just worried that you are not ingesting enough energy to keep up your strenuous exercise schedule. If you start feeling tired and listless please add another 2 low-GI servings of carbs (rye bread, some more muesli, Provitas, etc) to your intake and have a snack before gym in the morning (it can make you very tired to exercise on an empty stomach - as most people don't eat for about 12 hours from supper to waking up).
I am also glad that you have stopped weighing yourself all the time, as this can cause a great deal of stress in slimmers.