Question
Posted by: Driven | 2007/12/14

Getting the shakes after sport

hi,

i played a game of badminton yesterday after a very long time so my right forearm (im right-handed) got a hectic workout. anyway, i feel that this muscle is now exhausted so im stretching it out every now and then at work. But now when i hold my hand up, it has the shakes, is this normal.

Generally, i do get the shakes after a hectic aerobic workout, is this normal? im guessing that it may possibly be a lack of a certain nutrient in my body? Please advise.

HI Driven

It's not absolutely unusual, it happens often, usually because all the muscles that are normally responsible for the fine control of our limbs and joints are fatigued by exercise. I'm curious to know, though, how long after exercise does this happen? From the sounds of it, it's happening quite long after your training has finished. That would be a little more unusual. Still nothing to really worry about, provided you can link it to exercise, then it's a normal consequence of training. It' unlikely to be nutrient related, though, because then it would happen all the time and in all the muscles - there's no reason why it would be only in the fatigued muscles. So it's almost certainly caused by the exercise, and that is nothing to really be concerned about. If it gets worse, or happens in the absence of exercise, then perhaps you should consider seeing to it, but otherwise, just keep training and it should actually disappear as the muscle adapts and gets stronger.