Question
Posted by: Maws | 2004/11/16

Getting started

At almost 63 I have started walking regularly - mostly uphill and at a steady pace. Please advise me a training programme for my age - apart from walking. Need to strengthen leg and arm muscles and trim those damn abdominals. Thanx.

Hi Maws

I'm delighted that you are doing regular exercise. I think that the very first priority is just to make sure that you are OK to exercise. With age, certain complications, like blood pressure, osteoporosis, etc. can make it a little more difficult to start an exercise programme than is normally the case. Therefore, medical clearance is very important.

Having obtained this, the training you do is not actually going to be all that different from what anyone else would do, with the proviso that you must be perhaps a little more cautious. Someone aged 25 can launch into exercise with less regard for the day after, or long term thinking that perhaps you will be able to.

So, my advice is to check out the following site:

http://www.health24.com/fitness/Getting_started/16-474-488,24069.asp

Here you will see a number of options for training programmes. My advice would be to choose the Shape up for Summer programme (the first or second one) and then go for that. What I would do, however, is just see how it is going after the first 2 weeks and if you find that it is very difficult or that you are struggling, then don't increase any more. I believe that the pace with which you choose to walk for example is more important than the duration. So, a 30 minute walk can be very difficult or very easy, depending on how fast or slowly you walk, and that's what I would suggest you change, but you must do it according to how you feel.