Question
Posted by: John | 2007/12/05

Getting shape

I'm been training for bout 3 months now (at home with dumbells) and doing crunches. The results are good except for my abs. i can see it (especially just after i've trained) that they are defined but not showing nicely. think i must start doing cardio as well. how much and how often you think i should. i'm 175cm and weight 64kg so am slim/skinny but think a bit of cardio will help with the abs?

also the other area where results is not desirables is pecs/chest. all i've been doing is push ups. but now i've heard thats not enough. heard i need to do bench presses. Can you please advice which type etc etc. heard a lot bout declined and straight but not sure what exactly each is and which is the best for quick results.

Any advice/tips on these questions will be much appreciated.

Hi John

Cardio will help, certainly, and so I agree that you need to start doing it. First thing is to choose which one you'll go for - that should be done based on what you'll enjoy the most - if you think you'll enjoy running/walking, as opposed to cycling, then go for it! The goal is probably to get yourself up to 45 to 60 minutes a day, 5 or 6 days a week. You'd obviously need to build up to that, so the best is to begin at maybe 20 minutes (where you might even alternate 2 minutes on, 1 minute rest) and then work your way up. Your own fitness will dictate this programme.

As for the bench press, i think start with the traditional straight bench press for now, it simplifies life a little. Usually the bench press is done with the bar, so I gather you'll be using the dumbbells, which is fine, you'll just be working each arm separately (a good thing sometimes because you don't compensate with the stronger for the weaker arm).

Try also pectoral flys using the dumbells - you'll find images of this if you do a google search for the exercise.

Ross