Question
Posted by: Clare | 2007/06/25

Getting out of obese bracket

Dear Dietdoc, I've lost 11 kg in 8 months, and although it's been going slow, I'm happy with getting this far, especially as I've been doing it more to be more healthy than for aesthetic reasons. However, when I looked at my BMI this morning through this website, I see I'm still in the obese bracket (I'm 1.58m and now weigh 76 kg). This made me so depressed, as I don't know whether the weight loss had any benefit to my health if I'm still considered obese. I try to walk 30 minutes 3 to 4 times per week, but my work schedule, and the weather, do not always allow this.

Dear Clare
Anyone who has lost 11 kg should not feel depressed. You are a bright ***star*** for losing those 11 kg in a sensible manner. OK your present BMI is 30,4, but it has improved dramatically since you started losing weight (then it was 34,8), so don't do yourself in. Carry on with your programme and never doubt that you are doing your health a power of good. Research has indicated that a weight loss of even 5% (4,4 kg when you weighed 87 kg), can make a dramatic difference to your health. And you have lost 11 kg, which is wonderful. The fact that you are exercising regularly will also provide more health benefits and promote weight loss. Don't stop now. Keep up the good work (try skipping at home when the weather is bad) and those kgs will disappear. Set yourself
manageable goals - try for the next 5 kg, which will reduce your BMI to 28,4 and get you out of the obese range for ever.
Hang in there

1
Posted by: anon | 2007/06/25

Clare i applaud u for loosing those kilo's. Its not always easy to
be on a diet. Dont be demotivated by this, just continue and u will
c results. i have battled for so long to loose weight, and the only
way i can motinvate myself is to compliment myself even if i loose a 1/2 kg. Personally i wont be bothered by your high BMI
becuase it will eventually come down.
Dont loose hope girl.

Reply to anon