Question
Posted by: Proffie | 2003/02/27

Getting on with my life

Hi there!

I haven't been visiting the forum as much lately, but I thought I would just tell everyone about how things have been going in my life the last few days. This is for all the depro, negative, passive, lonely, desperate and sad people.

I have decided to grab my life with both hands! You know, I thought the world owed me something and I just realised, it doesn't! I am fighting my depression with all that I have in me and it is actually not that difficult. OK, I still have to keep my mind busy 24/7, but at least when I am working or doing something, I'm not pondering about all the "bad" things in my life. I actually am WORKING at work. I still don't like it, but at least I'm doing it and as long as I just do and don't think, I'm fine.

Also, I've decided to cut on my alcohol intake. I only really admitted to myself that alcohol seems to work in negatively on me the other night. I had two drinks (singles and I drank very slowly) and yet I started to feel so down and blue. Then I thought of how I always get depressed and sad and lonely when I drink (and can I drink!!). And I always feel crap the following day (not only babbelas, but also because of the things I said the previous night). So no more drinking blues for me!!!

Anyway, I also decided to get a new job. I am emailing my cv through to someone today. I am not getting anywhere here and I don't have the oppertunity to move up much in this company. So, I am moving on while I am young to a bigger, hopefully better, company.

I am trying my best to get my life in order so that I can like living again. I refuse to give up. I never will.

So, for those of you thinking about ending your life, looking for all those "oh so convenient" excuses - it is time to look at yourself from another angle, because the current angle is scew! I never thought I could do it, but I am!!! Keep the negative away, avoid it in the beginning and later you won't find it, even if you look for it.

I have no idea if this is just one of my many moods, but I tell you, as long as I can keep it going, I will!!!

I hope everyone out there find peace for their souls and find the true meaning of their own lives!!!

Dear proffie,
Thanks so much for coming back with your good news and your positive testimony to the value of positive thinking and rational actions, on depression ! It's really valuabl for you to share this exprience with others. What you are doing on your own is one of the key ingredients in the Cognitive Therapy I tend to recommend --- recognizing the automatic negative thoughts and theories one has gotten hooked on, and choosing to substitute for them more reasonable and positive thoughts and theories. As you have found, it works ! Keep up the great work !
And you also valuably remind us of the role of alcohol. Alcohol is a profoundly depressive drug. The only reason some people start by feeling jolly when they drink, is the first part of the brain it usually puts to sleep is the part that provides self-control and good judgement ! So it's a pretty silly kind of jolly.
People who are getting stuck in depression, usually start off drinking expecting that it'll make them feel better, and by the time they realize this isn't working, they're already drunk. And booze both makes one depressed, and keeps one depressed, and can interfere with the beneficial actions of antidepressant medicines, too.

2
Posted by: Louise | 2003/02/28

Well done Proffie!!!!!!!! Keep up the positive attitude!!

Reply to Louise
Posted by: Paul | 2003/02/27

Good stuff Proffie!! Im on your track a wee bit behind but stil behind you, love seems to be creeping into my life and work is gr8

Reply to Paul