Question
Posted by: pommie | 2006/11/15

getting off anti depresion medication

I have been on a mild anti depresant for about two years .It definatly improved my life but i am worried I may never be able to get off them or that it may be harmfull if I stay on them for too long.

There is no such thing as a " mild antidepressant". Either a drug IS an antidepressant and works well with depression when taken at the right dose, or it isnt and doesn't. Now, one shouldn't stay on any dryug in the long-term without going BACK to the shrink or prescribing doc for a re-assessment as to whether you still need to be on them. Depending on many things, including the nature of your depression and the history of it, you may well be able to come off and stay off the meds, and your doc can advise on that, based on his/her detailed knowledge of you and your depression.
Some people ( NOT all ) experience some uncomfortable symptoms if they stop their ADs too abruptly, but you don't get addicted to them
Some of us have recurrent Depressions, and may need to stay on them long-term, and many people have done so, over many years, without any harmful effects

1
Posted by: pommie | 2006/11/15

Thanks doc
I think because I feel so good at the moment that I have avoided going to my doc in case he takes me off the ADs.
POMMIE

Reply to pommie