Question
Posted by: yvonne | 2007/04/05

Getting my dogs to sleep through.....

Hi, I have 2 Shar-Pei's both 4 years old. When they were puppies I house trained them and they have been sleeping inside my house all their lives... When I travel and it is only my husband at home they sleep the whole night without asking to go out but when I am home they wake me up at least twice a night to go out.... My husband says that I should ignore them and they will stop, but I am not sure and i always worry that they need to go out so I always give in. The female often wakes me up at 2 am to go and eat pellets (I dont think that she could be hungry as they have food available all day and aslo get a snack at dinner time). Is there any way that I can get them to sleep the whole night without wanting to wander around?

Your husband is right. He has obviously ignored them and now they let him sleep and they manage the night fine. You will need to train them that you won't get up for them either. It will be difficult to begin with but they learned from your husband.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2007/04/05

It's easy, Yvonne. Just do what your husband does - ignore them. They're only doing this to you because you DO respond, and if you stop, and mean it, they will also stop.

You may have a few disturbed nights, but I think you'll find it's worth it!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Nip-nip | 2007/04/05

Looks like is a habit that they do only when you are around.i have a border collie that wakes me up at 5am every morning whether weekdays or weekends and only me.
they was a time when one of my puppy had catflue dieses.i kept him in doors he will come at the window and start crying for me to wake up.
i wonder also if he ever stop that behaviour

Reply to Nip-nip