Question
Posted by: Johann | 2008/01/17

Getting into shape

I’ve never been really active growing up. I didn’t really participate in sport at primary school, but played a bit of hockey during high school. I think its manly due to my inactive lifestyle as a child that I’m not build like an Adonis. I’m fairly thin build, not very bulky – fairly narrow shoulders, thin legs and arms. But still I have some flab – my butt isn’t firm at all and I dread my lack of a six-pack. Instead I have a bit of a belly, and some flab at my chest. After school I’ve started becoming more health and fitness conscious, but wouldn’t call myself a fitness junkie. I’m still a bit lazy and between hectic studies at university I don’t make enough effort with exercise. But I would really like to get my body into shape. I’ve also recently started looking at what I eat, and started cycling, which I quite enjoy and I occasionally jog (not that often – so I aren’t that fit). I went to a gym for a couple of times the last few years but I’m not that into weight training. I'd rather do something outdoors that’s also fun at the same time. A few weeks ago I started doing a few push-ups and sit-ups. Is this good exercise for firming up my body?
I would like to be confident about my body - I don't want to be shy when I'm at the beach with my mates. What exercise can I do to do something about my situation, and get rid of my body fat – and in turn gain some muscle?

Hi Johann

Good for you, making this committment now!

ANy exercise is better than nothing of course, and so don't worry about the fact that you're doing little bits. All you need to do is tie them into something with structure. It seems, from reading your question, that the problem lies with structure and consistency in the training.

As soon as you get some of that, you will suddenly see bigger changes. So what I would suggest is that you get onto a programme that allows you to keep going and to do something outdoors. Check out the Fitness page of this site, click on "Programme" and there you will find a number of different programmes. I would guess that a running and wlking programme is probably best for you, and they all include some resistanct exercise as well, so that should stand you in good stead.