Question
Posted by: GERRIE | 2004/10/18

GETTING FIT WHILE ON A DIET

I am a 54 year male, weight 124 kg.
Was active till three years ago, playing squash 3 times a week, for a hour. Now very inactive, only bowls,and some walking.
Need to lose weight, started diet. What exercises do I do to
help getting fit and lose weight? Please help.

HI Gerrie

My advice to you is to check out the following webpage:

http://www.health24.com/fitness/Getting_started/16-474-488,24069.asp

Here you will see a number of options for training programmes. My advice would be to choose the Shape up for Summer programme (the first or second one) and then go for that.

Being on a diet is not really a factor, if the diet is good. In otherwords, if you will be exercisising, you may find that you will need to increase your energy intake just slightly, and this is not a bad thing at all. It's only excessive eating that should be avoided, not undereating. So, make sure that the diet is appropriate, and if this means telling a dietician (recommended) that you are exercising then so be it, because they need to be in harmony to work. However, the exercise you do is the same, irrespective of diet.