Question
Posted by: K | 2004/11/11

Getting a kitten, will 5 year old DSH be ok?

we would like to get a siamese kitten, but we are worried about our existing cat. He is a 5 year old moggy, he has been fixed. We have two dogs that he gets on ok with, but are worried that by introducing a new cat he will get his nose pushed out. How can we ensure that he is ok with the new introductions?

K

Hi K
Cats are notoriously hard to introduce to each other and introducing a kitten is rarely a quick and easy operation. When introducing a new kitten it is best to keep it in a separate room and bring it out at least once a day to meet the older cat. You can do this by putting it in a crate or cage and letting the older cat come and investigate on his own. Do this at mealtimes, feeding the kitten in the cage. Stroke or brush both cats with the same cloth or brush so the scents mingle. Move the kitten around to different rooms so its scent spreads around the house. Once they seem to be getting along ok, you can allow the kitten out of the cage and try feeding them near each other. Gradually they should get to know each other, but this could take days or months....Good Luck!
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

5
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/11/15

I knew it wasn't you K. The person who is doing this, apparently for very good reason, feels inadequate and is trying to find validation. This is the only time I will mention it, as I'm very good at ignoring pests, and if it imagines it is hurting my feelings it is wrong - it is only providing a great deal of amusement.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: K | 2004/11/12

Thank you Acineth and Carol for your responses and wishes of luck. I appreciate it. I will also do the search for the previous questions as you recommend.

May I just add that I never wrote the comment asking where the doctor is. I feel awful that someone would use my nickname to be horrible to someone else. Especially when people kindly take the time to assist me.

K

Reply to K
Posted by: Carol | 2004/11/12

Kitty is going to be a tad peeved at first but once he cottons onto the idea that the new kitty is actualy a buddy he will be fine.

Just watch them tho and expect a lot of hissing and sulking.

And K do take a flying leap will u ....

Reply to Carol
Posted by: K | 2004/11/11

Please stop it Acineth where is the Dr.

Reply to K
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/11/11

His nose will probably be out of joint, but he will adapt. You have to make sure he is introduced properly and supervise for a few days and seperate them when you can't. Except for the first few days, I've never had a really big problem with introductions. If your local library has the book Compatible Canines this will give good advise on introducing dogs and cats. I think if you do a search the behaviourist answered a cat introduction question a few months ago. Good luck.

Reply to Acineth