Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2003/12/10

Getting a friend for Jack Russell puppy

Dear CyberVet,

I have a six month old female Jack Russell puppy. I am planning to get her a playmate next year in April, when she will be ten months old.

My parents-in-law's maltese poodle is currently visiting with us. She is almost nine years old. My puppy is very jealous of her, although they sometimes play with each other for hours.

Firstly, I would like to know if it would be a good idea to get a playmate for my puppy. Secondly, will she also be jealous of the new pup and will she also play so rough with it?

Kind regards,

Sarah

Hi Sarah
I'm glad you have decided to wait a few months to get another puppy as you have developed a good relationship with your dog now. However, this may also mean, as you say, that she will be jealous of a new pup so you will have to be careful about how you introduce them and how you behave for the first few weeks. It is often nice to have two dogs to keep each other company when you have to leave them, but remember it's much harder work walking, training and taking two dogs with you. Firstly, to avoid any unnecessary fighting, I suggest you get the opposite sex. They are more likely to get on well. When you introduce them you may need to do this with the pup in a cage or crate so that you can relax and give your older one lots of positive attention and treats while she gets to sniff the pup. Then perhaps let the pup out in an open space, maybe with the older one on a lead, if you're unsure of her being rough. Make a point of always praising and rewarding the older one while the pup is around so that she associates the pup with getting more attention, not less. Perhaps give her less attention when the puppy is not around (asleep etc.). Always greet the older one first, give her food first etc., so she knows she is more important than the puppy. She may discipline the pup by growling or snapping at him, but you need to accept this and not reprimand her for this. When play gets a bit rough separate them for a while and don't leave them alone together for a few weeks, until you trust them more together.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

1
Posted by: Coleen | 2003/12/11

i think JR's are generally jealous pets. i have the same problem at home. My 9 months Jack Russel has been living at home with my family and they have a 9 year old Maltese (this dog is so well behaved, so prim and proper). The JR sometimes gets o excited and rough..and the poor maltese just stands there...

i am thinking of having him "done" and then getting a dog of the same breed...they will understand each other better.

Reply to Coleen