Question
Posted by: Sue | 2008/01/30

Gestational diabetes - premmie baby?

I hve been diagnosed with diabetes, which requires insulin. I am now 25 weeks preggy. My baby shows up as about 27w growth. Weighing about 900g. What will the procedure be now, will a premmie baby be likely? what are the risks involved for baby in taking insulin? What is the earliest they are likely to deliver?

Expert ImageArchive

Hallo Sue
No need to get to worried. As long as the diabetes is well controlled all will be well. The risk of uncontrolled diabetes is that the baby growth very fast resulting in prematurity, but the baby may weight a lot. Delivering any time from now will result in a viable baby, however, they will try and keep her / him in the womb as long as possible. Delivery will only be necesary is the baby goes into fetal distress or if you contracts an infection.

Good luck - hope all goes well.
Welma

1
Posted by: Karthi | 2008/02/11

my wife has DEstional Diabetics.Her date of delivery iven by Dr is : March 4th. But they did C-Section on Feb10th itself.

Ie : 2 weks early. Please advise me the complications. and

Reply to Karthi