Question
Posted by: Puppy | 2005/11/25

Gestational age of prem baby

Good morning!

I was just wondering, at what Gestational age would a prem baby be out of danger. A baby born at 30 weeks, would the baby survive and is it true that a prem baby should not be fed the mothers milk because it is too heavy for baby to digest.

Thanks!

Expert ImageArchive

Hallo Puppy
Babies can be in danger even when born at full term. It depends on why they were born to early. If mom had high blood pressure during pregnancy and this led to premature birth we find that babies do better, sooner. Girls as a rule also do better than boys. The older the baby is the better we expect their outcome to be, since they have been in the womb for longer and this is the optimal developmental environment, but you need to keep the baby’s condition and reason for prem birth in mind.

Concerning breast milk. Breast milk is the very best thing you can feed any baby and especially a premature baby. The contents change as the baby grow and the baby will not be at risk for infections that may be caused by formula (NEC) and in addition breast fed babies has a much lower risk for infections and allergies later in live. Please breast feed your baby!

4
Posted by: Rita | 2005/12/05

My friend is on pregnancy number 5 lost the first four, and her amniotic fluid started leaking friday night. They are going to take her stitch out on wednesday and the baby will more than likely be born at 17,5 weeks. What are the chances?

Reply to Rita
Posted by: Lene | 2005/11/28

Hi, My twins boys were born at 32 weeks and wouldn't suggest formula, only breast milk. Personally i think breastmilk is the best for them!

Reply to Lene
Posted by: Kym | 2005/11/28

My LO was born at 27 weeks and I was told to express for him.

I'm part of SA Premmies and we have 24 weekers survive and do well.

Reply to Kym
Posted by: Choices | 2005/11/25

Hi Puppy.
My boys were born at 30 weeks and have been fine. They only spent 15 days in hospital (11 in NICU), and I have not had problems with them since, other than one of them suffering from reflux. They were always on formula. With my boys I was told I had to get past 28 weeks for them to really have a good chance of survival (I think at 28 weeks they have a 70% chance of making it), and each week they remained where they should be increased their chances dramatically. I did have to have steroid injections though earlier on in order to stregnthen their lungs, and obviously in my case it was expected that they would be prem, so all precautions could be taken before they were born

Reply to Choices