Question
Posted by: Chantelle | 2008/08/12

german measles

Hi. A colleague has german measles. Is it very contagious? We share a big office, but we' re not friends (so never really talk). Also, my other colleague is pregnant. Can you get german measles twice and have we as children been vaccinated against it during the 80' s?

Hi Chantelle
German measles is spread by droplets, in sneezing and coughing. It is usually contagious even before the patient has symptoms. It is most dangerous in the first 3 months of pregnancy. If you can't remember if you had the German measles vaccination you can have a blood test to determine if you have antibodies against it. Most women are tested for this early in pregnancy. One can get viral infections again if you had it very light and did not develop immunity against it the first time.

1
Posted by: cass | 2008/12/10

My two year old has developed a rash all over her body. The doc has diagnosed her with a measle like virus but isn' t sure which one. Apparently it is contagious - but for how long?

Reply to cass