Question
Posted by: TT | 2004/01/22

German measles

My wife has just out found today that she has been in contact with her boss who might have german measles. (awaiting cofirmation tests) She is 12 weeks pregnant, what sign s should i look out for and when should i start panicking?? What are the chances that she may have contracted the deseas if the were in contact only once? How soon should we see the gynae and is there aything that can be done to save the baby should she have contracted the deseas??

The sign to look out for is a rash. The chances of contracting the disease depends at what stage of the rubella infection the contact was. This would be difficult for your wife to know. The best thing is to wait for the blood tests. If she does contract rubella, there is about a 30% chance of the baby being affected with either blindness, deafness or brain problems. Unfortunately there is no way of treating or preventing this. Many women then opt for a termination of the pregnancy.

1
Posted by: Me | 2004/01/23

Don't panic. When I was 12 weeks pregnant with my son my daughter of 3 got german measels.... it was a worry to us and we did all posible test to find out if it had affected the fetus. (I did not get it... just my daughter with whom I was in contact all the time). It was suggested that we abort the pregnancy. We decided NOT to abort and our healthy, perfectly normal son was born. He is now a handsome boy bright in school and on the athletics field. Of course we are pleased that we never aborted.

Reply to Me