Question
Posted by: Khosi | 2004/11/16

German Measels and Pregnancy

Please could you provide more information on the risk related to contact with people infected with German Measels.

I am currently 25 weeks pregnant, and rather concerned.

Khosi

The first thing would be to check if you are immune to rubella or not, as many people are. This can be done with a blood test. If you are not immune and have been in contact with someone with rubella, you may or may not get it yourself. If you do get it, there are some risks to the fetus. However, these are much higher if the infection occurs before 20 weeks. You are relatively safe at 25 weeks.

1
Posted by: Purple | 2004/11/16

As far as I know the risk is greatest in the first trimester, but I stand to correction on this.

The baby can be born deaf or with deformities if the mother contracts German Measles (Rubella) during pregnancy.

Most gynae's do a blood test to check your german measles immunity at your first appointment when you date your pregnancy. If you saw your gynae before pregnancy then s/he would probably have done one then if you mentioned that you were trying to conceive.

If you were innoculated as a baby (the MMR), then you should have immunity. Check with your mom.

Reply to Purple