Question
Posted by: Poolnymph | 2007/11/28

GERD Eating Plan Query

Dear Doc,

My husband is 29 and was diagnosed with severe GERD last week, in fact, his oesophagial sphincter doesn't work at all! His doctor has recommend that he goes over to a GERD Diet and excercise in combination with his medication (The Doctor want to try and prevent operating). I have found a wealth of information, recipies, meal plans, etc..... and this is obviously a lifestyle change that we'll be doing as a family.

What I would like to know is, my daughter has just turned 2, so obviously I will also have to take any special nutritional needs she may have into consideration, although on the whole I think she will benefit as well, as she was a reflux baby herself. How do I best accommodate her requirements, or would a GERD Eating plan as it is, be sufficient for her?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards.

Dear Poolnymph
I am sorry to hear that you husband is suffering from such severe GERD. Because you will need dietary advice to accommodate his problems and the nutritional needs of a 2-year-old, I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will assist you with these divergent requirements. In the meanwhile, click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then do a Search for the article I wrote on "GASTRO-OESOPHAGEAL REFLUX DISEASE (GERD) & DIET" by using the title as your Search term for additional information.
I do hope your hubby will soon feel much better.