Question
Posted by: DJ | 2008/01/16

genital Herpes

Hi there,

Im a 24 year old male and I've recently contracted Type II genital Herpes. Ive thus have a question about asymptomatic transmission. This is apparently where the virus could be transmitted to a sexual partner when the herpes sore itself is not present. Its alsa only certain herpes carriers that transmit the virus in this fasion.
I would thus like to know if there are any tests that my GP/urologist can do to ascertain if I am indeed one of these carriers that will transmit the virus without the sores being present. I would like to know because I obviously want to prevent any transmision to my partner.

Any advice would be really helpful
DJ

Dear DJ
See http://www.ihmf.org/general/resources03.asp
Best would be to always use a condom and to take antiviral therapy if you get a next outbreak - this will reduce the risks of further outbreaks. The risk of transmitting the virus when you don't have active lesions are low.

3
Posted by: DJ | 2008/01/20

Well i really dont know where I got it from. I have only ever had one sexual partner and that is my wife. She doesnt have it, but I do. It popped up recently after some heavy stressfull situations at work and I've done some research. Basically, I could have had it for years without knowing and it only came out now with my first heavy stressfull work experience seeing that I only started working recently. Its type2 so its only genital, not oral. The only way I can think of is during oral sex while my wife had an ulcer.

That being said, I've made peace with it and realised that it's not the end of the world. I just dont want to give it to my wife.

Reply to DJ
Posted by: Karen | 2008/01/19

Question is did you have herpes before you married or after ?

Reply to Karen
Posted by: DJ | 2008/01/17

Hi Dr Bets,

Do you know of any tests that I could take to see if I am indeed a carrier that would transmit the virus without active lesions. This would obviously pertain to my wife and myself trying for a baby and oral sex. The last thing that I want is for my wife to be infected while we are trying for a child.

Thanks Doc,
DJ

Reply to DJ