Question
Posted by: Gen | 2008/01/24

Genetics

Dear Doc,

I am to be an egg donor recepient and would like to know the probability of our baby's eye colour.

The donor's family : Father brown eye's dark hair, mother green eyes redhead, and donor herself brown eyed redhead.
My husband, blue eyed redhead

Regards,

Dear Gen

I’m not a geneticist and therefore, unfortunately cannot be of great assistance in this regard. However it is a known fact that dark eye colour is generally dominant over light eye colour. Therefore the chances of having an offspring with dark eyes would be in my opinion 75%. There is a 25% chance of a recessive gene combination resulting in light eyes either green or blue.

4
Posted by: baby2mom | 2015/07/13

Persons wanting more insights into egg donation and receiving donor eggs, please visit www.baby2mom.co.za

Reply to baby2mom
Posted by: Gen | 2008/02/05

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately the Health24 geneticist seems to to be missing, she has not answered any of her mails!
Thank you for your trouble
Gen

Reply to Gen
Posted by: Gen | 2008/01/28

Hi AbbieGay
Congrats! It's a huge decision to make, and having made it you don't sound as excited as you should be. Sweetie, find a counsellor and spend some time with him/her working on this.
You say that your baby will not be like you in any way? I disagree with you totally! First on the physical aspects, most clinics will try and match you with a donor, so that if you are a dark eyed dark haired lady you won't have a blue eyed blonde. More importantly, you are going to be this babies mum, you will raise it, teach it and love it, and it will become very like you in it's psyche and habits, and that is way more important. Please speak to someone, if I may be so bold, there is a super lady by the name of Mandy Rodrigues at the Medfem clinic in Sandton. Medfem as you may know is an infertility clinic and she is extrememly knowledgable in this area and I know will be able to help you. If you haven't yet got a donor, speak to Pam Duffield in the donor section, she is a wonderful lady and trememndously supportive.
What you are doing is huge, make no mistake, and I truly believe you need help in this, my husband and I went for counselling (and are still going) because it is very hard knowing that we women are born for mainly this reason, to perpetuate the species, and whilst every other women seems to be able to fall pregnant, there are more women than you know who cant. You most certainly are not alone! X

Reply to Gen
Posted by: AbbieGay | 2008/01/27

Hi, I am also going to be an egg donor recipient (IVF) at the end of Feb. We are considering whether we require counseling. My only sadness is that our baby will not be like me in any way, but I am desperate for one & will do anything I can to have one. How do you feel about this and do you think counseling is necessary? I would be pleased to receive yr comments as I haven't found anyone else yet who can comment on this topic... thank you

Reply to AbbieGay