Question
Posted by: Pinkie | 2005/12/07

Genetic tendencies

I am a 54yr old woman and in excellent health if how I feel is anything to go by! My whole family died of heart disease and my grandfather, mother and daughter were and is diabetic (type 1) Ihave a mitral valve prolapse, scoliosis etc and specialists think I have Marfan syndrome. My son and daugter in law are now planning a baby and I am quite worried that all or some of this
will be carried over to the baby. What do you think?

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Pinkie

I do not think you need to be worried. Many genes interacting with environmental factors play a role in the development of heart diease and a healthy diet from birth will keep baby healthy!

Regards, Maritha

1
Posted by: Genetic Counsellor | 2006/01/30

Dear Pinkie
If your specialist thinks that you may have Marfan syndrome, it may well be worth it to get this confirmed by a Clinical Geneticist. If this diagnosis is confirmed, there may be a risk for your son. Please contact your closest Genetic Counselling clinic, or contact 011.489.9224, and ask for the contact details of a genetic clinic close to you.

Reply to Genetic Counsellor