Question
Posted by: anxious | 2008/01/29

GENERICS

CD

One always seems to have info plastered everywhere on how generics are just as good as brand names and you can save lots of money etc!

My gp has never been a great fan of generics (they definitely dont work for me when I am sick - I have had this proved before) but I figured maybe some are much the same until I read the article I receied in my e.mail yesterday. I subscribe to MSN's Health & Fitness newsletters and the latest one has an article "Are Generic Drugs Safe?" I was astounded by its content.

Its on msn .com's website - Health & Fitness - type in Are Generic Drugs Safe and click on "Search Site". Open the file dated 18/01/08. Its a shocker and well worth a read!

Dear Anxious
The problem with some generics are that although they contain the same "ingredients" the manufacturer don't always follow exactly the same "recipe" causing a difference in absorbtion and effectiveness. Some generic drugs are made by the "original" company e.g. Ponstan and Ponstel and there is usually no difference between the two. Usually the bigger and well known pharmaceutical companies have generic products that is fine to use.
I have also noticed in practice that especially with the generic of Lasix and some asthma pumps that the original is better to use!