Question
Posted by: bipolar | 2004/11/08

Generic version of Seroquel

My brother has been using with success Seroquel. Is there a generic version available. If not in SA, can I get it from another part of the world? Will it be reliable and as effective?

Bipolar

Dear bip,
If there was a generic version of Seroquel available, I'm sure it would be exactly as effective, as it would have to be chemically equivalent / identical. I haven't so far hear of a generic version available yet. The company that goes to the large research and related expenses of devising a new drug like that have exclusive rights to make and sell it for a number of years, to make back the millions it cost them, and make reasonable products ; befure other companies are allowed by law to make the cheaper generic versions. I have a feeling that Seroquel has a few years of the exclusive patent to run, still.