Question
Posted by: Jaze | 2007/04/19

general questions

1. I am a 22 year old female and have a very small build (either slightly underweight or just the right body mass) but very very unfit. i started attending gym and have been doing toning classes 2 times a week and will be attending more regularly soon (before that i was very inactive) I am just worried that if i ever stop going to gym that i will start getting fat. Isn't it then better to exersize less or not to go to gym at all?

2. i have some cellulite and i heard that it is permanent and will never go away, even if you exersize or change diet. Is this true?

Thank you very much in advance.
J

Hi Jaze

Don't worry about getting fat if you have to stop - that doesn't happen. Of course, you will find that if you exercise regularly and then stop you will more likely than not gain some weight, but you will never go ABOVE what you would reach if you never exercised to begin with. So don't worry - you are always better off doing some exercise.

As for the cellulite, it can be very difficult to combat, but there's no such thing as never. I would suggest that you continue your exercise as you have been, I think it's important that you add sessions in the next little while, aim for between 4 and 6 sessions a week. if you do that, control your diet, then you can only see improvements. How many, who knows, but the important thing is to focus on the process, not the end result. Concentrate on getting fitter and you will always have an achievable, controllable goal to aim for.

2
Posted by: Poppy | 2007/04/20

Hi Jaze,

I'm not too sure about an answer to question one, i should think that you would always have the same body size, as it's genetic. But i could be wrong.

But on question 2, i can tell you that, us women WILL always have cellulite, but it's the degree of cellulite that differs, and that will also be responsible for wether it or not it's clearly visible. So eating right and exercisin help to reduce the amount and visibilty of it, but you will never completely rid your body it.

Oh and question 3, i've heard the best thing to do when you stiff, is work through it. I woulg agree, that by waiting, you undoing all the hard-work and starting over. But again, i stand to be corrected.

Good Luck
And enjoy you exercise, if you don't you won't continue with it for very long.

Reply to Poppy
Posted by: Jaze | 2007/04/19

oh sorry i have another question

3. i am very stiff and sore from the toning classes, i read in a previous post that its better to wait for your muscles to heal before exersizing again, but doesn't that mean starting over?

Reply to Jaze