Question
Posted by: Chant | 2005/06/15

General Program for Health

Hi FitnessDoc,
I am 22 years old, weight 58 - 59 kgs and am 1.69m tall. i follow a very healthy and balanced diet.I try to exercise 3 - 4 times per week, but don't know what exercises to do for general health & loosing those 1 - 2 kgs I know I could! Cardio? Weight training? A combination of both? Thanks for your help - it's greatly appreciated?!?

HI Chant

Cardio is certainly the optimal type of exercise if you goal is to lose weight and reduce body fat. that said, you can't neglect to do some weight training, because it helps increase muscle mass and this has long term benefits for weight maintenance, and the tone improves appearance. However, it's cardio first in my opinion. If you are already doing 3 or 4 days a week of exercise, then you are on the right track. Perhaps at least 3 should be devoted to cardio, where you do about 45 minutes of moderate intensity cardio, and then on the 4th day, and possibly a 5th day if you can squeeze it in, you do some weight training. If you need any specifics on how to structure the programme, I would suggest you check out the fitness page, and then click on "programmes' and browse through these and see if anything grabs you particularly or helps you.