Question
Posted by: Eclipse | 2004/01/28

Gay....Why??

Doc, please explain this to me! I need to understand what makes people gay? How is it possible? It's definately NOT natural! So, how can people be gay? Explain to me the wisdom behind being a homosexual, how/what they think and what causes this because I definately cant understand it!

Dear Eclipse,
I suppose it depends on what you mean by "natural", but I think when you insist that "it's not natural" you're meaning that it seems wrong to you. It occurs very naturally, not only in men and women but in other animal species, and among humans, it happens in all countries, races, cultures and creeds. So it surely seems to be part of the usual range of human potential.
Then you ask me to explain "the wisdom behind being homosexual" --- could you explain the wisdom behind being heterosexual ? You sem to be assuming that sexual orientation is a choice that some people make, for whatever reason, as if they choose that just to annoy others, or for some other reason. People appear to be born with a specific sexual orientation, showing signs of it even before they are old enough to be aware of what sexual orientations are. If you, for instance, are heterosexual, I don't think you had the option to be homosexual, and you didn't one day pass a resolution deciding to be straight --- that's just how you turned out to be. Did you choose to be right or left-handed ? Again, a left-hander can to some degree change that inborn orientation far more than anyone can shift their sexual oruientation to suit their convenience.
You might find it hard to imagine why someone would choose to be gay --- I think many gay people would be similarly puzzled, because the amout of discrimination, disadvantages and prejudice they still encounter in the course of their lives would indeed make it a strange choice to pick from a menu of options. But they didn't choose, any more than you chose not to be gay. You actually have more choice about your religion, and much more freedom to change religion, than anyone has about their sexual orientation.
How do they think ? Exactly the way straight people do. A gay man feels about some other men, and a gay woman about some other women, exactly the same as a straight man feels about women, and a straight woman about men. The usual aspects of attraction, interest, arousal, turn-offs, lust and love arise and apply.
And as for "natural", although there's been very little funding for such research, some recent studies have found that orientationmmay be related to various factors acting on the brain of a foetus before birth, and that there may be some small and subtle differences in the structure of some areas of brain, helping to explain the innateness and stability of sexual orientation.

3
Posted by: Kernel | 2004/01/29

Being gay is natural - it is nature's way of terminating the propagation of specific genes - it applies to both sexes.

Reply to Kernel
Posted by: Eclipse | 2004/01/28

Ok, Doc, so what you are saying is that gay people were born this way? They didnt have a choice and it just happened. What I understand from you is that some people were CREATED gay, right? Certain factors before birth causes some people to be gay and others to be straight, right? Is it in their genes? or what?

Reply to Eclipse
Posted by: WHY NOT | 2004/01/28

People are gay cause they can be anyway that they want to be, love is love. I am not gay, but don't see why there should be a reason.Should there be a reason why a Jew will want to be Muslim.

Reply to WHY NOT