Question
Posted by: Jack Noir | 2007/04/25

Gay vs Religion

OK, this has always been something that interests me.

This is an open post and not about me.
Can you guys please explain to me if you are religious and if you are, how do you meld being gay and the religion.

I specifically use the word religion as opposed to having faith and it is more aimed at those who are part of the "classic" religions such as Christian (fundamental and other), Muslim, Hindu etc.

I am purposely excluding, New Age Religions and Earth Based Religions or any other "non-classic" religions due to their inclusive nature.

And please, this is not a bash on anyone's belief system or their choices or any such things.

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

:)

5
Posted by: Jack Noir | 2007/04/26

Thanks all!

Me

Reply to Jack Noir
Posted by: Tammy | 2007/04/26

Bhuddism ::

The central teaching of Bhuddism is about losing one's identity. This includes your sexual identity. So basically, no matter where you start, the issue isn't who you are, but becoming nothing.

I doubt whether Bhuddism has any issue with sexual identity. :)

T

Reply to Tammy
Posted by: Tammy | 2007/04/26

Hi Jack,

I'm studying a B.Th through UNISA at the moment, and I suppose am viewed as "quite religious" by people.

There are two issues for a Christian. The first is "what the Bible says". The problem (with "traditional" or "fundamentalist" views) here is that the Bible says many things, and we ourselves - both as individuals and as faith communities - decide what meaning to assign to what the Bible says.

What I mean by this is that the Bible (for example) contains no condemnation of slavery. Christians choose (these days) to understand that slavery is not congruent with the rest of the teaching of the Bible, andit would be a very foolish Christian indeed who tried to practise slavery based on their reading of the Bible.

Unfortunately in South Africa, the kind of christianity we have been most exposed to is precisely this Calvinist and literalist reading of the Bible.

This brings us to the second issue. And this is that our understanding developes. It changes. The central doctrine - the dogma - of Christianity does not include ojne's sexual or gender orientation. It is succintly encapsulated in the Apostle's Creed. How we live out this dogma changes as society changes.

In order to facilitate or bring about this process of change, we often need to read (the Bible and church teachings) "against the grain". This not only applies to gay issues - it also applies (for example) to the ethics of gender. It also applied to Apartheid.

regards

Tammy

Reply to Tammy
Posted by: Gareth | 2007/04/25

Easy, no matter what your religion is. Religion in my mind is about love, mostly. And no matter what the other religious traditions say, I cannot see how true love between two people, whether they are of the same sex or not can be wrong. And whomever you believe God to be, he will not condemn people for being in love with each other, simple as that.

Reply to Gareth
Posted by: Boyboy | 2007/04/25

Hinduism does not discriminate against any person based on the fact that we are all reincarnated into a specific form as a means of ultimately attaining a state of nirvana. So one could be a woman or a man or gay or straight or transgendered or an animal or a plant - what is revered is the soul in you on its journey to enlightenment.
However, most Hindus have been influenced by Victorian attitudes to sexuality due to colonialism.

Reply to Boyboy