Question
Posted by: Gay parent | 2005/07/26

Gay Parents

Hi, I was hopeing to get some advice. I used to be married, i have 2 wonderfull children. I've been devorced now for 3 years. My kids have met my bf, not that have ever seen us "together". they love him to death and visa versa. ok so my question is, how does one go about telling the mother of your children that their father is gay? and how do you explain and answer questions that all curious 6 year olds have? (my daughter, not asking yet)
have any of you got some real life advice? i really want to tell my ex, we have a fantastic relationship now. we really get on now. all my family and friends know about me, its only her left to tell. i'm worried that she will try to stop me from seeing the kids once she knows. i know she cant do that, but you never know.
please help.

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Gay parent,

Thanks for your posting.

I think it is imperative that you have that chat with your ex-wife. Don't frame it as "the children's father is gay" - this is a case of "I am gay". The fact that you're a father is secondary in this conversation. It's about you as a person. You mention that you have a 'fantastic' relationship with your ex-wife - part of a fantastic relationship is about being really honest. Of course you're assuming that your ex-wife doesn't already know that you're gay.

Don't underestimate children - they're often more perceptive than you think. Children are also less judgemental than adults. When children are anxious about a parent being gay it is often about their fear of losing that parent. Be very reassuring, and don't make a huge issue about being gay. Be prepared to answer their questions without being too explicit.

Your wife cannot deny you fair access to your children purely on the grounds of your sexual orientation.

Parenting as a gay couple can be challenging - the family needs to develop a set of roles that aren't based on traditional gender-determined parenting roles, and may need to cope with elements of prejudice. Two gay parenting groups will commence in Cape Town soon - one for men, one for lesbians. Application forms are available on the Triangle Project website (www.triangle.org.za).

3
Posted by: Gay parent "dyl" | 2005/07/27

thanks for the replys gents, really does mean alot that there is place where one can ask and hopefully get some good advice.

thnaks again

Reply to Gay parent "dyl"
Posted by: Mh?/? | 2005/07/26

Im sorry I dont have a life experience to share. My opinion is that I think you are at a better position since your fam. knows about you and are ok with you. I dont think that your wife constitutionaly she has a right to deny you seeing your kids just because you are gay, that will be discrimination. I believe that the reason ppe are against homosexuals is because they have been told that it is a wrong thing to be but i think if you explain to your kids that there is nothing wrong with it they will understand.

good luck and keep well with your partner.

Reply to Mh?/?
Posted by: Chez | 2005/07/26

I am in the same boat as U. mail me on cherie at snack dot co dot za

Reply to Chez