Question
Posted by: Sean | 2005/07/28

Gay church

Hi expert and thanks for this,

My question is about religion - is there a chance of being a real Christian and being gay? Is there any church in South Africa that really accepts gay people and treats us as equal to straights?

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Sean

I'm not sure what you mean by "being a real Christian" but is very possible to reconcile being gay and Christian. Not all Christians are homo-prejudiced or homophobic, and not all churches discriminate against the gay community. Often the 'culture' of an individual church is determined by the priest (minister, pastor or dominee) who leads that congregation - if that individual has managed to overcome his/her own issues related to sexuality and has 'seen the light' in terms of how destructive prejudice can be, it is likely that the church will be more accepting of gay people. Some churches, however, claim to accept gay people because "...we're all sinners..." or "... it's my Christian duty to love everybody..." or "...we accept you as a person but don't approve of your behaviour...". I don't think these statements are good enough - they're all somewhat judgmental and arrogant. You need to decide for yourself what you're comfortable with, but there's no need for you to settle for being treated as lesser than anyone else. Some churches have caused great harm to the gay community - don't allow this to continue.

There are also church groups that are totally accepting of diversity, and actively reach out to the gay and lesbian community. Call the Gay & Lesbian Helpline on (021) 4 222 500 any day between 1pm and 9 pm, or the Information & Counselling Line on (012) 344 6560, Monday - Thursday, for a gay-friendly church in your area.

5
Posted by: Also Anon! | 2005/08/28

Hi Anon

there is a gay friendly church in dbn, the website is
www . deogloriakzn . com

but without the spaces !

Reply to Also Anon!
Posted by: Anon. | 2005/08/01

Garreth, please post the contact deatils for a gay-friendly church in Durbs? Thanks :)

Reply to Anon.
Posted by: Garreth | 2005/08/01

There is one in Durban - where are you from?
we can get the details for you.

Reply to Garreth
Posted by: Mom of Lesbian | 2005/07/30

Hi Sean
Should you be in Cape Town, Jhb, Dbn or surroundings, I can help you with possible churges. Contact me on 082 3373225

Reply to Mom of Lesbian
Posted by: Angel | 2005/07/29

I believe that we are all spiritual beings created by our Creator. That is the core of our soul - the very essence of who we all are. To grow spiritually depends on one's relationship with the Creator and how we choose to explore and express that. We all differ, therefore our epression of that sence of spirituality will be different from the next. This goes far beyond institutionalised religion or THE church. THE church is merely one of the tools or vehicles to express one's spituality. I further believe that we don't not need the validation of a church to say that we are acceptable in the eyes of God. One feels that in the core of one's being by a sense of peace and inner-serenity that comes upon you. No church can give that, only a deeping relationship through faith. What the church provides is that sense of belonging and nurturing that we all yearn for. Waiting for the church accept people in the diverse nature God intended is like waiting for pigs to fly. Celebrate your sexuality with all its divine facets it is meant to be.

Reply to Angel