Question
Posted by: loonybin | 2005/01/09

Gay advice

Hi, I am 16 and I recently 'came out' to my parents who were very accepting... I was wondering if you know of any gay helplines or organizations i could get hold of? Thanx

Triangle Project sounds worth trying --- and let us know if you find them helpful. Pleased to hear your parents were sensible and supportive. Are you looking for specific advice on specific problems ( we could try to help here, and if more is needed a local gay organization could perhaps advise on local gay-understanding therapists and shrinks ; or maybe you just want to find out more about gay organizations and culture --- dine, though at 16, there's no great hurry, as you probably have other significant priorities ahead, too.

2
Posted by: Corné | 2005/01/10

You can give Triangle Project a call. You can look up their number in the phone book.
They helped me a lot when I came out.
Good luck, my friend.
Love
C

Reply to Corné
Posted by: Liza | 2005/01/10

Do you need any gay helplines or organizations? If you do, why do you need help? If you 'came out' and your parents accept this, it still doesn't mean that you accept it yourself? Many gay people nowadays go to their church and get counselling from their priest/dominee/reverend etc. They do not condemn. They just try to help you understand and accept. I have a gay friend - he frequently goes to his dominee with his boyfriend in tow for some counselling. (Hey, relationships might be a bed of roses, but sometimes there are still thorns that stick through.)

If I were you however, I wouldn't rush into a relationship though. Take things one day at a time. You're still young. There are lots of people who at 16 do not have a significant other.

Liza

Reply to Liza