Posted by: CE | 2008/07/21

Doc please advise....
Everytime my hubby over-indulges a bit too much on alcohol (I mean having a couple of drinks more than usual), he suffers from severe gastro and abdominal cramps for about 2 days. Gurgling noises come from his tummy, followed by pain and gastro (normal in colour). He does not want to go to the doc, cos he hates it.
I got him some Buscopan and Immodium, which he took over the weekend. The runny tummy has stopped, but he still has some pain in his tummy. I' ve just been to the chemist now to get him some Interflora, just to restore his intestinal balance.
What could be the cause of this?
Should he seek medical attention?

Dear CE
Alcohol can cause inflammation of your stomach lining (gastritis), leading to nausea, vomiting and stomach pain due to the chemical irritation and because it stimulates acid production. Some people are more sensitive than others. The diarrhoea happens because alcohol causes your small bowel to absorb less water and propel its contents along more quickly.
He should really try not to drink excessively and to always eat something fatty before taking a drink as this will delay the movement of the alcohol through the bowel.
You can try Mucaine for the stomach ache, and Kaopektin for the runny tummy.