Posted by: Bob | 2008/06/03


Doctor, how do I have my acid content tested as I am not sure wheter I have too much acid or too little, and get gastrites on and off over time. I also have a hiates hernea and sometimes get heartburn, but taking medication for this already. I had a gastroscopy last week and gastrites was diagnosed, but the doctor did not say what causes it and the medication does not seem to help as yet. Someone indicated I might have too little acid and I would like to have it tested so I can get the correct medication.
Please help and thank you

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Bob
You don't have to have your acid tested. Your body has an intricate system to manage the acid/base balance in your blood via the kidneys, lungs and other chemical processes. You may be making too much stomach acid due to stress ( stimulates the vagus nerve to increase stomach acid) or other factors, but this should be managable by medication called PPI's ( Nexiam, Pantoloc etc are examples)
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.