Question
Posted by: becks | 2007/06/25

Gastricy bypass surgery and pregnancy

Hi Doc, I just wanted to know, if I was to go for this surgery to lose weight and I wanted to fall pregnant afterwards would there be any implications. I am scared that I go for this and then if I do conceive then the baby would not be getting enough nutrients. Thank you

DEAR BECKS

My knowledge of gastric bypass surgery is limited but logic dictates that, in many cases, mal-absorption and malnutrition syndromes arise in particular iron deficiencies. Therefore, my advice would be against such surgery prior to embarking on fertility treatment.