Question
Posted by: BMI 43 | 2004/03/02

gastric bypass surgery

Hi Doc,

I need information regarding the above operation. What is the cost? and where do I find a surgeon in Johannesburg/Sandton who performs this type of op?
Why do people tell me that this is a very dangerous op?

Dear BMI 43
I would suggest that you either ask your gp to refer you to a surgeon in your area who specialises in these ops or look up a general surgeon in the telephone book under Medical and ask who does these ops. Any major operation and full anaesthetic is associated with risk. In addition this operation does have long-term effects such as inability to fully absorb vitamins, minerals, proteins and other nutrients, resulting in deficiencies - thus you will have to be very careful what you eat and take supplements for the rest of your life. After the op you may also experience considerable discomfort such as diarrhoea and abdominal pain on an ongoing basis.