Question
Posted by: Big Mamma | 2008/05/22

Gastric Bypass

Hi Doc,

Hope you can assist me. I am about 62kg over weight, high blood presure and Diabetes 2.

My BMI IS 44.5 and I qualify for the Gastric Bypass op. Please can you tell me who I can see with regards to this. If you have a doctor's name even better.

Big Mamma

Dear big Mamma
A gastric bypass is a serious operation and there is a high risk of complications. Please ask your Gp to find out if there are any surgeons in your area that has a lot of experience in doing these kinds of operations.
see also http://www.obesityunit.co.za/team.htm

3
Posted by: Fatty | 2008/05/24

Hi again,

I don't think so, only because that never came up in my searches, something else its called is a Bariatric bypass, and I'm also not sure this is exactly the same. However I'm absolutely sure its worth sacrificing your Island holiday for it :-)

Good luck with your decision making

"Fatty"

Reply to Fatty
Posted by: Big Mamma | 2008/05/23

Thanks Doc and fatty,

One more question: Is Small Bowel Reduction the same thing. I have been reading a lot about all the different procedures.

This is more important to me than having a Island holiday????? I am so desperate.

Reply to Big Mamma
Posted by: "Fatty" | 2008/05/22

Hi Big Mamma

If you are healthy enough, have gone for your psychological evaluation, and have the funds - if your medical aid doesn't pay for it - (about 50 000 rands) I can only recommend this op wholeheartedly!!!

Just remember that it's also a change of life, no fatty biltong, nuts, chocolates, creamy cakes etc, etc otherwise you either get very sick (throw up), or just don't lose like you should. Read all you can just so you know what you're letting yourself in for. Google ROUX en Y that is the procedure my hubby had and that web page has a beautiful description of what you're letting yourself in for. But its worth it, only wish we had done it 10 or 15 years ago.

(We live in Bethlehem and I don't know if I'm allowed to give our surgeons name here?)

All the best of luck

"fatty"

Reply to "Fatty"