Question
Posted by: Sweetface | 2007/06/25

Gastric Bypass

Hi Doc,

I'm trying to gather information about gastric bypass surgery as I am now 28 and 1.55m tall and weigh 120kgs. I am interested to know the cost of the surgery and if a medical aid would cover any portion of the cost and what qualifies you for the surgery.

Kind Regards,

Dear Sweetface
I would recommend that you ask your gp to refer you to a surgeon in your area who does gastric bypasses, because it is important to be assessed by the surgeon. You can then ask him/her what the operation would cost (they are rather expensive) and ascertain if your specific medical aid would pay all or part of the operation (most medical aids in SA do not pay for these ops). Recently a Reader who underwent a gastric bypass called Savannah kindly posting a weekly report on her progress. Look in the Question Archives on this page for her regular reports -use her name (Savannah) for your search. I agree that your present weight of 120 kg and BMI of 50 requires drastic action.
Holding thumbs
PS: I have just seen that dear Savannah has posted her weekly report today, so scan up 3 questions to read what she has to say.