Question
Posted by: Windy | 2005/11/30

Gas problem

Dear Doc,
A bit embarresed - I am on the Weigh Less diet and have lost about 5 kg's in three weeks. My problem is that I realy have a lot of gas. It is very uncomfortable. - and embarrassing. I am eating a lot of veggies etc (not cauliflower, brocolli, and onions). Is there something that I can do / drink to help for this?
Any advise would be appreciated.

Dear Windy
Congratulations on losing those 5 kg - well done! The changeover to eating a diet high in dietary fibre can often cause an increase in flatulence. Basically one should change over gradually and gradually increase your dietary fibre intake. You can try using over-the-counter products like activated charcoal to control gas production, and take probiotics such as Bifidoflora (buy at health shop). If this condition persists then it may be better to have a medical checkup and ask your gp to prescribe anti-flatulence medications like Buscopan or Bevispas. Also discuss this problem with your Weighless counsellor as you may be able to make some changes in the amount of dietary fibre you eat and still lose weight.
Hang in there and keep up the good work.

1
Posted by: windy2 | 2005/12/01

Onions, especially if they are not well cooked are one of my worst triggers for gas.

Reply to windy2