Question
Posted by: Jan | 2004/01/22

Garlic and marine oil

To keep him healthy, I would like to give my 6 year old dog Vital garlic marine capsules,which contain garlic oil, lecithin, gelatin, marine oil, vitamin E, glycerin and colourants. Are these safe for him?
Also, he obviously has some sort of digestive malfunction, as he lets off a fair amount of really stinky gas, and after eating anything at all, he goes off to "graze" the lawn for a while. Would dolomite tablets help? His stools look normal to me and he never seems nauseous. His appetite is good..
He is overweight (became pretty placid after castration) and I am working on this by very gradually reducing his food intake (Alpo "senior" dog biscuits) and eliminating all other foods, except for a small daily snack of biltong. Almost daily short walks too, and the younger dog to keep him going.
Is there anything else I can do? I don't want to suddenly change his diet drastically as he is very jealous of our other dog who has no weight problem, so I need to give them the same foods (just different quantities) to keep the peace

I do not know the quantity of garlic in this supplement, however garlic can be potentially toxic to dogs if overdone (it breaks down the blood cells), although this is obviously not that common. The Marine oil and possibly the vitamin E is probably the most important part of the capsule as a general supplement. The stinky gas may be a sign that the food does not quite agree with him, however some dogs are gassy regardless of the diet.

Good quality food and avoiding being overweight as well as mild exercise is the best you can do to keep him healthy. Regular visits to your vet (annually) for clinical evaluation, vaccination and deworming, may also help prevent problems and help the vet detect problems early. It sounds like you're doing a good job overall!

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town