Question
Posted by: To do or not to do | 2004/10/21

Garlic and dogs

Ok, my dog has fleas, I am on my way to get teh frontline spray coz she is a puppy 2 months old - can I mix a bit of crushed garlic with her food, does it have the same health association for animals as it does for humans and will it help in making the fleas bugger off?

Hi "To do or not to do"
You can mix a very little bit of garlic into her food about once or twice a week, but don't overdo it. Too much of anything is not good and there have been incidences of dogs getting very sick from an overdose of garlic or onion. I believe the benefits are the same for dogs and humans and that garlic helps to increase immunity levels and deter parasites, but I'm not sure what the scientific evidence is at present.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

5
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/10/21

K

Everything I've read indicates there is no benefit to giving dogs garlic.

I know we're talking about fleas here - but garlic will definately do nothing for ticks that cause biliary. You're better off with a product that kills both.

Mine don't get table scraps as such, but occasionally if there is left over food I put it in their bowls at the next feeding time. I don't do it often as obesity is very bad for them - much worse than the disappointment of not getting scraps. I suppose some people don't see overfeeding as a bad thing, but as love.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: K | 2004/10/21

Acineth

Is there any value in giving adult dog's a slight amount of garlic?

I know people who feed their dogs table scraps and most of the dishes she cooks do contain garlic, they seem okay and I have never seen fleas on them.

(Let's not get into a debate about feeding dogs from the table, it is, I suppose, a personal thing, it turns my stomach I must say and as much as i adore my own dogs .............. )

Reply to K
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/10/21

Don't take the chance of upsetting its tummy. If you're buying Frontline why bother with the garlic? It won't add anything.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: K | 2004/10/21

In my experience garlic definetly helps, you just need to get the doage right as it can upset their stomachs, also, it makes the pass the most vile winds.

I had a doberman and a staffie and I used to feed it to them with their food but they were both adult dogs.

As Pi says, check with the vet first!

Reply to K
Posted by: Pi | 2004/10/21

While you are at the Vet to get Frontline, check with him about the garlic. As far as I know raw garlic is not good for dogs, it will upset their stomachs, escpecially a puppy.

Reply to Pi