Question
Posted by: Ker | 2007/05/21

Ganglia

I have a Ganglia, in my right hand on the palm, by the base of my fingers, it has gotten gradually worse and to a point now where i want to cut it out... Been to the doc, gave me a voltaren inject - what relief - the pressure build up is terrible, the pain and discomfort and extend into my arm and shoulder and at time be unberable.. Driving is terrible, and using the mouse is awful, i have good days and bad days. The voltaren gel seems to help, but the ice is the best, and to strap it and imobolise it offers great relief in terms of pain, but is irratating as i am right handed. Do i need to have it cut out? and Will i have to have a gen anesth. and how long wont i be able to drive for? I am in agony with this. Please give me extra info on this. tx

Dear Ker
Yes I think you have to operate on this. They do it under general anaesthesia unless it is a contra indication, they probably can do this under local block if really necessary. It takes about 6 weeks to heal, but will probably be less sore within a few days than it is now! Best to get a orthopod that has a special love for doing hand operations as it is a delicate operation.

Society of surgery of the hand
2721 BELLVILLE SOUTH AFRICA 7535
Tel: 021-9103322 | Fax: 021-9103838 | E-mail: sassh@iafrica.com