Question
Posted by: Nats | 2006/10/28

Gangelion in right wrist

Hi, i was wondering if you could pls share your advice with me! I hurt my wrist a couple of months ago (not sure how, but definately not due to sport injury, as i dont do sport or any of the kind!). anyway, i saw my doctor about 2 months ago as i had a terrible pain in my right wrist and thought i might have broken a bone or something...it was really painful! he examined my hand and said that i have a ganglion in my wrist. i have been doing some research and what i understand is that it is a form of arthritis....i am 23 years old!!! is it normal for a person my age to have any form of arthritis??? my doc gave me anti-inflamatory's which i took at that time...the pain lasted about 3 days, with my wrist in a bandage.
yesterday morning the pain came back after about 2mths... is this going to be a recurring thing and is there anything i can do to cure it? i dont have medical aid at the moment, so surgery is out of the question for now. looking forward to hearing from you soon!
Kind Regards and Many Thanks,

Natalie

HI Nats
No it is not a kind of artritis. A ganglion is a little "balloon" that forms in the sheath of the muscles of the hand due to a weak spot. As your fingers move, fluid pumps into the balloon and causes pressure on surrounding nerves and muscles and joints, causing pain. The only way to get rid of it is to have it operated and repaired.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganglion_cyst
It is not dangerous - just uncomfortable.