Question
Posted by: Nolitta | 2007/11/26

Gallstones in pregnancy

Please help. A couple of months ago my sister was rushed to hospitall with terrible chest pains. The doctor on duty at the hospital told her she just had a bad case of reflux. I had my gall bladder removed due to gallstones 8 years ago and I insisted it could only be gallstones as she had the same symptoms I had. Now my sister is 18 weeks pregnant and landed up in hospital twice now due to gallstones. The surgeon at the hospital has now said she has to have the gallstones removed as it can become infected and might affect the baby. However, she might go into pre-mature labour and could lose the baby. He cannot gaurentee that this would not happen. Understandably she is very upset. I advised her to get a second opinion. Is it there any other possible remedy she can use to get rid of the gallstones without having to do the surgery. Your advise on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

The surgeon would have to assess how urgent it is for the gallstones to be treated. Any surgery to the abdomen could precipitate preterm labour, but there are drugs that could be used to suppress contractions. I would suggest that her gynaecologist and surgeon discuss the management together.